Email: admin@gmail.com
Visit: www.bathcommunityenergy.co.uk

Treat Your Home to the Eco-Friendly Touch – Part 1

Buying eco-friendly cleaning products and replacing toxic ones is a great way to provide your home with clean, fresh air. Clean air doesn’t pollute our immediate or the wider environment- it instead rejuvenates and renews. Removing your home of neurotoxic chemicals, making it less toxic in the process, improves concentration and sleep, and provides an overall feeling of well-being. By adhering to the following steps, your home will have a more positive effect on the environment.

Check the cupboards in your kitchen

Almost everyone has numerous poisons in their kitchen cupboard. Whether it be polishes and waxes, oven cleaner, or wasp spray, your cupboard holds any number of chemicals that feature a word such as ‘poison’, ‘caution’, ‘danger’, or ‘warning‘. A small amount of the poison leaks out and drifts from the bottle, which proceeds to make its way around your kitchen.

These poisons are among the biggest threats to children’s’ health. Move products with one of these words on the bottle into storage or in a locked cupboard until the next House Hazardous Pickup Day (or equivalent) in your community and replace them with safer versions from now on.

Take note of Household Hazardous Waste Pickups

You should never throw away hazardous materials or pour them down the drain, as they are capable of causing serious pollution issues in the waste stream. Call your town hall or recycling centre. Most communities will have a minimum of one Household Hazardous Waste Pickup Day a year. Doing this will result in fewer toxic materials being wasted away into the waste water stream, being burned in an incinerator, or being launched from a landfill.

Replace your toxic products

Do your part reducing the toxic effects of the waste stream, your home, and the wider environment. The government places the danger words on the product levels, such as cleaning products and pesticides, mainly for your own protection. These words are also sometimes displayed, however, to let you know about what the product is capable of doing to the environment.

‘Danger’/’poison’ are the words that you should be mainly concerned with. It means that the product features high levels of toxicity, and even small amounts can cause a fatality if ingested. ‘Warning’ denotes moderately toxic, although it would take a teaspoon of it to cause a fatality. ‘Caution’ means that it has a smaller degree of toxicity and it would take somewhere from two teaspoons to two cups to cause a fatality.

Corrosive products are capable of damaging mucous membranes and skin. Strong sensitisers can worsen allergies. Ensure you read labels on products carefully before you buy them, so you know the potential effects they have on you and the environment.

Educate yourself on non-toxic cleaning

If you invest some time in making homemade cleaning recipes by understanding the basics about the chemistry involved in how cleaning materials work, it can be effective. You would need to ensure that all homemade recipes are labelled well and aren’t placed anywhere where your children can reach them. It’s not only safer for you and the environment, it’s also more cost-effective.

Comments are closed.